Tuesday, June 22, 2010

1 week wait

I haven't blogged about a lot that's been going on recently, because it's hard to keep up really. A lot has gone on in a short period of time.

We had our final ultrasound which determined that we would (and did) go for egg retrieval the Wednesday of last week not Thursday. Our appointment Wednesday was at 8:30 in the morning, so Luis got us a hotel in Oklahoma City (OKC) for the night before.

We were funny trying to get to OKC. We stopped less than a mile from our house to eat dinner, then we stopped to go potty and grab change for the tolls. I forget to grab change, so we stopped yet again to get change then we got on the turnpike going the wrong way. We didn't get to OKC until after dark where we still tried to park without a pass. It's not like we could go to clubs or get out and walk all over Bricktown when we got there, so in a way getting their late took away any temptations. Memories.

We showed up for egg retrieval Wednesday morning and were ready to go. I'd taken my antibiotics beforehand like I thought I was supposed to. It made me nauseous so I ate 2 small bites of English muffin so I wouldn't vomit. The anesthesiologist was less than happy. He wanted to cancel the procedure!! Did you know that? I mean I've had procedures before...this isn't my first rodeo...I guess I didn't understand the risks involved with eating anything before going under. The nurse told him we were not canceling, so he proceeded to knock me out and pump my stomach. Of course I didn't feel it then, but the next day my neck felt like I'd been in a car wreck.

What started out bad Wednesday, however, ended good. While coming out of anesthesia, the doctor informed us he retrieved 6 eggs--5 were good!! Yes, in the beginning I wanted 15, but the way things played out, I was more than happy with 5. I felt really good afterwards. Luis & I even went to a nice sit-down lunch at a restaurant before driving back to Tulsa. I took a 3 hour nap and went back to work the next day.

Thursday is when the ride continued. They updated us that 2 good eggs fertilized. Woohoo!!!!!!! Last time we did IVF, we only had 1 mutant fertilized egg on day 2, so we were already ahead. We just held our breath til the next update on Friday. Would 2 other eggs which matured late also fertilize? Would we transfer the fertilized egg back to me on Saturday or Monday? Friday they phoned us to say we would transfer on Saturday.

This time to OKC, we didn't go early to stay the night because we knew we were staying there Saturday night and we have 2 dog kids to consider. We got up early Saturday morning and drove down. The transfer is noninvasive, so I didn't need much rest going in. It's as bad as a pap. We were the only patients there. Luis and the doctor talked about soccer and the World Cup. I took half my clothes off and got comfortable. Pino put scrubs on and I was rolled back into the same room where they did the retrieval--Pino walked back in his new digs.

Odd, but we discussed geography, raffles, and the eggs too. It was pretty casual with a pause when nurse Karen brought in the 3 fertilized eggs. Then we were back to conversation. I stayed in their office for over an hour with my feet up. Karen wheeled me down to our room. We stayed in the hospital's hotel which was okay overnight. Pino drove us home the next morning while I laid as flat as possible in the passenger seat.

I was on my back for 3 days. I sleep on my side, so staying on my back wasn't comfortable but if they said sleeping on my head would get me pregnant, I would!

We're still doing nightly shots of progesterone. We have an appointment Thursday to check my level of progesterone. Really after that the next step is the pregnancy test! The doctor's office will do a blood test. I am not peeing on a stick. I don't trust those things! Next after that I guess is hearing the heartbeat, then 1st trimester, then well let's not get ahead of ourselves.

So that's the lengthy update. Thank you to everyone who's texted, emailed, called, etc. during this process. Your thoughts and prayers are appreciated so much!

As usual, PLEASE keep praying for us! It's all we can do now--pray, hope, be thankful, and think fertile.

No comments:

Post a Comment